The Office of Undergraduate Research supports the larger mission of Washington University in St. Louis to advance and protect the process of inquiry by facilitating and promoting faculty-mentored undergraduate research experiences in all schools and all disciplines.
We help students discern their own research paths:
- We offer guidance for students in choosing an area of research interest and finding a mentor.
- We provide opportunities for students to meet potential mentors and to talk with current student researchers.
- We maintain links to current research opportunities at Wash U and other universities, as well as other funding sources.
We provide financial assistance for students undertaking research projects:
- We provide financial support for undergraduate research on campus or anywhere in the world in the form of competitively awarded Summer Undergraduate Research Awards for students performing research under the guidance of a faculty mentor.
- We provide funding in the form of Conference Travel Awards for students to present their research findings at conferences in their discipline.
We facilitate the presentation and publication of student research:
- We sponsor the Undergraduate Research Symposium in the fall and spring as a venue for students to present their research to the greater Wash U community.
- We offer guidance for students in preparing research for presentation, either as a poster or as an oral presentation.
- We publish articles and abstracts written by undergraduates in the Washington University Undergraduate Research Digest (WUURD) and Washington University Senior Honors Thesis Abstracts (WUSHTA).